ate Professor in 1980. He taught courses in ana-
lytical and general chemistry, and his research
concerned the utilization of micelles (soaps) in
J. carey blalock (B.S., M.A., Wake Forest;
Ph.D., Florida) was Assistant Professor from
1950 to 1957 and then Associate Professor until
his death in 1974. He taught analytical chemis-
try and was an expert in polanography.
susan carol Jackels (B.S., Carleton; Ph.D.,
Washington) and charles f. Jackels (B.S.,
Minnesota; Ph.D., Washington), a wife-and-
husband team of chemists, were given a joint
appointment in a single tenurable position
in the fall of 1977. Charles was a theoretical
chemist and Susan an inorganic chemist. In
1983 each of them was promoted to Associate
Professor. In 1983 Susan won the University’s
annual award for excellence in teaching.
Others who taught chemistry during the years
under consideration were david eckroth
(1966–1969), ronald blankespoor (1973–
1977),2 richard d. mounts (1974–1975),
Judith cato hempel (1975–1976), W. douglas
hounshell (1978–1980), michael J. thomas
(1978–1980), richard r.m. Jones (1980– ),
howard l. White (Fall 1980), robert p.
rooney (1981–1982), margaret plemmons
(1981–1983), and robert ferrante (1982– ).
In 1977 Blankespoor received the annual award for excellence in teaching.
The Department of Classical Languages (Greek and Latin) in Wake Forest College and Univer-
sity 1834-1984, written by Robert W. Ulery, Jr., is available in the University Archives.
the department of classical languages
Forest; M.A., Ph.D.,
taught Greek and
Latin at Wake For-
est since 1940, and
was chairman of
from 1956 until his
retirement in 1971,
after which he taught at Campbell College (now
Campbell University) until 1980. He died in 1982.
He was remembered in a faculty memorial reso-
lution for his “congeniality and personal rapport
with students,” the “wit and vivacity of his
classroom manner,” and “his hearty laughter.”
[See an article by Russell Brantley in The Wake
Forest Magazine, XXIX (June 1982), 8.]
Associate Professor carl V. harris (A.A., Mars
Hill; B.A., Wake Forest; B.D., S.T.M., Yale; Ph.D.,
Duke) came to Wake Forest in 1956. He taught
Greek and was particularly interested in patris-
tics. He was the author of Origen of Alexandria’s
Interpretation of the Teacher’s Function in the
Early Christian Hierarchy and Community. He
was promoted to Professor in 1968.
John l. “andy” andronica (B.A., Holy Cross;
M.A., Boston College; Ph.D., Johns Hopkins)
came to the Department in 1969 as Assistant
Professor. He taught courses in the literature of
the late Republic and Early Empire and was
particularly interested in Lucretius and Ovid.
He succeeded Earp as Department chairman in
1971 and remained in the chair until 1978. In
1971–1972 he served as the first director of the
University’s program at Casa Artom in Venice.
He became Associate Professor in 1974.