taught courses in art
history and, when the
Department of Art was
established, became
librarian for the slide
collection. He was pro-
moted to Professor of
English in 1970, re-
tired in 1971, and died
in 1978. [See “Lewis Aycock—‘Always on Call for
the University,’” an article by Rod Meyer in The
Wake Forest Review, VII (Summer 1977), 8–9.]
dalma adolph
“d.a.” brown (B.A.,
M.A., North Carolina),
who had been at Wake
Forest since 1941,
taught courses in
English literature. He
was promoted to Pro-
fessor in 1972 and
retired in 1973. In 1982 he received from Presi-
dent Scales the University’s Medallion of Merit
in recognition of his teaching, “an expression
of conscience, sensitivity, and understanding.”
He is remembered by Russell Brantley in an
article (“Painstaking Prof Marks Last Ques-
tion”) in The Wake Forest Magazine, XX (June
1973), 20. [Also see Emily Herring Wilson’s
interview with Brown in The Wake Forest Maga-
zine, XXVIII (August 1981), 40–44.]
John a. carter Jr.
(B.A., Virginia; M.A.,
Ph.D., Princeton)
came to the Depart-
ment in 1961. He
taught courses in
Victorian fiction and
was a particularly
devoted reader and
interpreter of the
novels of Charles Dickens. He served as pres-
ident of the Victorians Institute. He was
promoted to Professor in 1972 and was depart-
ment chairman from 1968 to 1971. He also
served on the faculty committee selected to
advise the Trustees during the search that led
to the appointment of President Scales.
alonzo W. “al” Kenion (A.B., M.A., Ph.D.,
Duke) came to Wake Forest in 1956. He became
Professor of English in 1976. His teaching field
was eighteenth-century English literature, and
he was a frequent participant in the College’s
program in interdisciplinary honors. He retired
in 1983. (See page 312.)
elizabethphillips(A.B., Woman’s College, North
Carolina; M.A., State University of Iowa; Ph.D.,
Pennsylvania), at Wake Forest since 1957, was
promoted to Professor in 1968. She taught
American literature and was the author of Edgar
Allan Poe: An American Imagination (published
in 1979) and Marianne Moore (published in 1983).
She was also a pioneer in the development of
Women’s Studies at Wake Forest. She was depart-
ment chairman from 1971 to 1975. (See page 293.)
lee harris potter
(B.A., M.A., Ph.D.,
North Carolina) came
to the department in
1965. He was pro-
moted to Professor
in 1975. His academic
background was in
eighteenth and nine-
teenth century liter-
ature. He was an early enthusiast about the
University’s overseas centers and was director
of programs, either in Venice or in London, on
several occasions.
Two faculty members (Drake and Raynor) who
held the ranks of Assistant Professors in 1967
had—like Snuggs, Aycock, and Brown—joined
the Department on the old campus. Justus c.
drake (B.A., M.A., Wake Forest) had been with
the University since 1946. He was working on
Previous Page Next Page