340
| the history of wake forest
a dissertation on the
nineteenth–century
English novelist
George Gissing. He
died in 1971. A tribute
to him by Harold T. P.
Hayes (B.A. 1948) is
in The Wake Forest
Magazine, XVIII (De-
cember 1971), 20–21.
beulah lassiter
raynor (B.A., East
Carolina; M.A., Wake
Forest) had also come
to the Department in
1946. For years she
was a faithful and
demanding teacher of
courses in freshman
English, always holding students to the highest
standards of composition. In 1978 she was pro-
moted to Associate Professor, and in 1979 she
retired. [See “‘A Thousand Candles,’” an article
by Louise Y. Gossett, in The Wake Forest Maga-
zine, XXVI (Spring 1979), 38–39.]
Assistant Professor
doyle richard fos-
so (A., B., Harvard;
M.A., Michigan; Ph.D.,
Harvard) came to
Wake Forest in 1964.
He was promoted to
Associate Professor in
1969 and to Professor
in 1979. His course on
Shakespeare, which was required for every
English major, was at the center of the Depart-
ment’s curriculum. He was also a poet, and he
served on several key faculty committees dur-
ing the Scales years.
Assistant Professor robert n. shorter (B.A.,
Union College; M.A., Ph.D., Duke) had been with
the Department since 1958. He became Associ-
ate Professor in 1968 and Professor in 1977. He
served as Director of the Winter Term, and then
as Director of the Spring Curriculum, from 1973
to 1975. In 1975 he was appointed to the first of
three four-year terms as department chairman.
He was a specialist in medieval literature and
taught courses in Chaucer and in Arthurian
romances. (See page 137.)
robert W. lovett (B.A., Oglethorpe; M.A.T.,
Ph.D., Emory) had been at Wake Forest from
1962 to 1966 and returned in 1968. In 1969 he
became Assistant Professor and, in 1975, Associ-
ate Professor. He taught courses in eighteenth-
century English literature. He was an enthusiastic
reader, in particular, of Jane Austen and Daniel
Defoe, and built a remarkable collection of
various editions of Robinson Crusoe.
William m. moss (B.A., Davidson; Ph.D., North
Carolina) came to Wake Forest as Instructor in
1971. He was promoted to Assistant Professor
in 1975 and to Associate Professor in 1979. He
specialized in American literature, particularly
the literature of the South. He collaborated
with Dillon Johnston in the establishment of the
Irish Poetry Series.
W. dillon Johnston (B.A., Vanderbilt; M.A.,
Columbia; Ph.D., Virginia) was appointed As-
sistant Professor in 1973 and became Associate
Professor in 1975. He brought to the campus a
new awareness and understanding of Irish
poetry and was the primary founder—and edi-
tor—of the Wake Forest University Press, orga-
nized for the purpose of publishing an Irish
Poetry Series. In 1982–83 he was awarded a
fellowship from the National Endowment for
the Humanities. (See page 177.)
In 1974 dolly mcpherson (B.A., Southern;
M.A., Boston; Ph.D., Iowa) made University
history when she was appointed the first full-
time African-American woman to teach at Wake
Forest. She taught nineteenth-century black
American literature and was instrumental in the
Drake
Raynor
Fosso
Previous Page Next Page