departments
|
343
During the Scales years the Department of
German was notable for the continuity of its
professorial staff. In eight of these sixteen
years there were no changes at all in teaching
personnel.
Professor James c.
o’flaherty (B.A.,
Georgetown College;
M.A., Kentucky; Ph.D.,
Chicago), at Wake
Forest since 1947, was
chairman of the De-
partment until 1969.
From the time he ar-
rived at Wake Forest he was one of a relatively
small number of faculty members who were
actively engaged in academic research, and he
continued to publish: as author of Hamann’s
Socratic Memorabilia: A Translation and Com-
mentary (1967); as co-author of Else von der
Tanne by Wilhelm Raabe: A Translation and
Commentary (1972); as co-editor of Studies in
Nietzsche and the Classical Tradition (1976);
and as author of Johann Georg Hamann (1979).
He specialized in eighteenth-century German
literature. He also deserves credit for the creation
in 1963 of the Institute of Literature, a humani-
ties program which typically brought four speak-
ers to the campus, annually, one each in classics,
English, German, and Romance languages.
Associate Professor ralph s. fraser (B.A.,
Boston; M.A., Syracuse; Ph.D., Illinois) came to
Wake Forest in 1962. He was promoted to Pro-
fessor in 1968 and served as Department chair-
man from 1969 to 1977. His areas of specialization
were modern German literature and compara-
tive literature. He was the editor of Reimarus:
Fragments and Uwe Johnson: Karsch, und an-
dere Prosa. He was also a devoted bibliophile.
Associate Professor Wilmer d. sanders (B.A.,
Muhlenberg; M.A., Ph.D., Indiana), had taught at
Wake Forest from 1954 to 1957 and had returned
to the Department in 1964. His specialty was
German literature of the nineteenth century. He
wrote a comprehensive “history of the teaching
O’Flaherty
the department of german
1967–1983
James O’Flaherty; Wilmer Sanders; Larry West; Timothy Seliner; Mary Place; Ralph Fraser, Chairman
Previous Page Next Page