| the history of wake forest
of German at Wake Forest” to which my brief
notes about German are indebted. He became
Professor in 1980 and served as Department
chairman beginning in 1977.
larry e. West (B.A., Berea; Ph.D., Vanderbilt)
came to the Department in 1969 as Assistant
Professor. His area of specialization was the
German drama of the Late Middle Ages, and he
was the translator and editor of The Saint Gall
Passion Play. In 1970 he was awarded a Fulbright
summer grant for study with the Goethe Institute
in Germany. He became Associate Professor
timothyf.sellner(B.A., Michigan; M.A., Wayne
State; Ph.D., Michigan) joined the Department in
1970 as Assistant Professor. He taught German
literature of the late eighteenth and early nine-
teenth centuries and was editor and translator
of Theodor Gottlieb von Hippel’s On Improving
the Status of Women. He was also co-editor of
Studies in Nietzsche and the Classical Tradition.
He became Associate Professor in 1977.
Others who taught German at Wake Forest were
dale bridgewater (1966–1970), sammy
merrill (1967–1969), Karl h. rupp (1967–
1969), and mary elizabeth place (1969–1975).
hannelore mcdowell also taught part-time
on several occasions, and susan h. david was
a part-time instructor in 1979.
In the Department of History, in 1967, there
were six Professors and five Associate Profes-
sors. Two distinguishing marks of the Depart-
ment were, first, that all eleven of these men
were destined to continue their academic careers
at Wake Forest and, second, that four of the eleven
also had—or would soon have—significant admin-
Professor henry s. stroupe (B.S., M.A., Wake
Forest; Ph.D., Duke), at Wake Forest since 1937
(except for his years in the U.S. Navy during World
War II), had served as chairman of the Department
and was appointed Director of Graduate Studies
in 1961 and, subsequently, in 1967, Dean of the
Graduate School. He continued to teach and to do
research in North Carolina history. (See page 52.)
Professor percival perry (B.A., Wake Forest;
M.A., Rutgers; Ph.D., Duke) had taught at Wake
Forest for one year (1939–1940) before World
War II and had returned to the Department in
1947. He taught historiography and the economic
and diplomatic history of the United States. In
1960 he was named Dean of the Summer Session.
(See page 12.)
Associate Professor merrill b. berthrong
(B.A., Tufts; M.A., Fletcher School of Law and
Diplomacy; Ph.D., Pennsylvania) had come to
Wake Forest in 1964 as Director of Libraries.
Under his leadership, between 1964 and 1983,
the Z. Smith Reynolds Library expanded its
collection from about 180,000 volumes to
nearly 850,000 volumes. Other Library achieve-
ments during these years are noted elsewhere
in this History.
Associate Professor thomas m. mullen (B.A.,
Rollins; M.A., Ph.D., Emory), a faculty member
the department of history
Professor J. Edwin Hendricks’ History and Historians at Wake Forest: A Sesquicentennial History
is an especially valuable account of the Department of History from its earliest days until 1984. It is
available in the University archives.