366
| the history of wake forest
emmett Willard hamrick (A.B., North Caro-
lina; Ph.D., Duke) joined the faculty in 1952 and
became Professor in 1961. He served as chair-
man for twelve years: from 1969 to 1981. He
taught courses in the Old Testament and in
Biblical archaeology. He participated frequent-
ly in archaeological excavations in Jordan and
Israel, was a consortium representative on the
Caesarea Excavation, and was for a time a
trustee of the American Schools of Oriental
Research. He was the author of a commentary
on Ezra-Nehemiah.1
John William “bill” angell (B.A., Wake Forest,
Class of 1941; Th.M., Th.D., Southern Baptist
Theological Seminary; S.T.M., Andover Newton
Theological School) came to Wake Forest in
1955 and was promoted to Professor in 1962. He
was the author of Can the Church Be Saved?:
How the Insights of Kierkegaard Speak to Pres-
ent Needs and was the co-author (with Profes-
sor of Philosophy robert helm) of Volume One
of Meaning and Value in Western Thought.2
george mcleod “mac” bryan (B.A., Wake
Forest, Class of 1941; M.A., Wake Forest, 1944;
Ph.D., Yale) joined the faculty in 1956 and was
named Professor in 1961. He taught courses in
Christian ethics and, as other episodes in this
History make clear, played a leading role as an
advocate for civil rights causes at the University.
He was the author of Naude: Prophet to South
Africa and Conversations with W.W. Finlator. He
served for many years on the North Carolina
Civil Rights Committee and was a director of the
Fellowship of Southern Churchmen and of Opera-
tion Crossroads Africa. (See page 112.)
robert allen dyer (B.A., Louisiana State;
Th.M., Th.D., Southern Baptist Theological
Seminary) came to Wake Forest in 1956 and in
1959 became a member of the staff of the Dean
of the College. From then until his retirement in
1983 as Professor of Religion and Associate
Dean, he divided his time between the Depart-
ment and the administration. His special quali-
fications and his character are discussed in the
Preface to this History. (See page 10.)
1
Hamrick wrote an article, “Pictures at an Exhibition,” about his experiences on an excavation at
Meiron, which appeared in The Wake Forest Magazine, XXII (Autumn 1975), 5–10. Shirley (Mrs.
E.W.) Hamrick added a selection of letters (“Life on a Dig”) that she sent home from Meiron.
2
A second volume appeared later.
McLeod Bryan, John Collins, Charles Talbert, George Griffin, Fred Horton, William Angell, Carlton Mitchell, and
Willard Hamrick
Previous Page Next Page