| the history of wake forest
harold dawes parcell (B.A., North Carolina;
M.A., Ph.D., Harvard), on the Wake Forest faculty
since 1935, served as Professor of French and as
Department chairman until 1967.
He continued teaching until
1970, and he died in 1983. He was
admired for the many positive
ways in which, for more than
three decades, he strengthened
the Department: with an ex-
panded curriculum, a larger and
more qualified staff, and a major
increase in library holdings. He
traveled frequently to France and brought back
to the campus an informed appreciation of
French culture. He especially enjoyed teaching
the literature of the seventeenth century.2
Parcell was succeeded
as chairman by mary
frances mcfeeters
robinson3 (B.A.,
Wilson College; M.A.,
Ph.D., Syracuse), who
came to Wake Forest in
1952 and who was appointed Professor of French
in 1968, one of the two first Wake Forest faculty
women (along with elizabeth phillips of Eng-
lish) to achieve that rank. She specialized in
twentieth-century literature. During her chairman-
ship (in the fall of 1972) the Semester-in-France
program was established in Dijon, France, with
from ten to twenty students going to Dijon each
fall to take courses, taught in French, some of
them in conjunction with the Centre International
the department of romance languages
See Mary Frances Robinson’s History of the Department of Romance Languages, available in the
University archives.
“Dr. Parcell to Retire after 35 Years of Teaching French,” an article by Carlton P. West, appeared in
The Wake Forest Magazine, XVII (May 1970), 22–23.
She served in the chair until 1974 and again from 1978 to 1982.
Harry L. King, Kathleen Glenn, Julian Bueno, Frances Creighton, John Parker, Frank Whitchurch, Anne S. Tillett
Previous Page Next Page