104 The History of Wake Forest
The power plant on the Reynolda campus was renamed the Royce R. Weatherly
Central Heating Plant. Weatherly came to Wake Forest in 1947 as Assistant Superin-
tendent of the steam plant, and in 1956 he was promoted to Assistant Superintendent
of Buildings. He served as Superintendent of Buildings from 1974 until his retirement
in 1981. The ceremony took place on April 29.
Thirty graduate students had to vacate the last large graduate student apartment
complex when it was converted into undergraduate housing for the fall of 1989.
Operation of the Reynolda Station branch of the U.S. Post Office was turned
over from the U.S. Postal Service to the University on May 26. On June 24, the prefix
for all Reynolda campus phone numbers changed from 761 or 750 to 758.
Trustee Vic Flow (’52) and his son Don (MBA ’83) committed $2 million to the
construction of the Professional Center for Business and Law, and world-renowned
architect Cesar Pelli was engaged to design it. At the same time, the President and
the Development Office continued soliciting funds for Benson University Center. By
the end of the year, the Benson Center was only $1.5 million away from being fully
funded at $12 million.
The international accounting firm of Price Waterhouse and Company gave the
University a grant of $125,000 to endow a faculty fellowship in the undergraduate
Calloway School of Business and Accountancy.
The thirteenth annual College Telethon raised $453,202. Trustee J. Tylee Wilson
offered a $500,000 challenge to match dollar-for-dollar new gifts and increases of $50
or more to the College Fund. This money was allocated for the construction of the
Benson Center. Of the 15,000 alumni contacted, 5,113 pledged.
The University received a $2 million grant from the Z. Smith Reynolds Foun-
dation to improve faculty salaries and fringe benefits, to fund projects designed to
improve the quality of teaching and research, to aid in the recruitment of new faculty,
and to endow ten named professorships. Faculty selected for these positions became
Wake Forest Professors.
In February 1989, the trustees voted to increase undergraduate tuition by 10.7
percent for the 1989–1990 school year, an increase of $850, for a total cost of $8,800.
According to Vice President John Anderson, most of the funds were to go to fac-
ulty salaries and financial aid. For example, the University allocated $6.3 million for
undergraduate financial aid, more than doubling the 1985–1986 allocation.
The Alumni Council chose A. Doyle Early (’65, JD ’67) of High Point as President-
Elect of the Alumni Association. It also sponsored a new faculty award, the Alumni
Association Faculty Prize for Community Service. Nominations for the first award
were solicited from faculty, staff, and students in March. The nominee had to be a
member of the teaching faculty. The winner, Mathematics Professor Ivey Gentry, was
announced in mid-April and honored at the council’s summer planning conference
in late July.
Previous Page Next Page