176 The History of Wake Forest
ranked the University one of the nation’s hundred best buys; for the first time, ­
Barron’s ranked Wake Forest under the heading “Most Selective.” In January 1994,
Barron’s ranked the Babcock School of Management the tenth best business school
in the nation.
In an even more prestigious recognition of Wake Forest’s growing academic rep-
utation, the Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) elected the University to full
membership in its eighty-two-member consortium. Besides managing and operating
the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education for the U.S. Department of Energy,
ORAU works to provide and develop capabilities critical to the nation’s infrastruc-
ture, especially in the areas of energy, education, health, and the environment.
Hearn was recognized for his service by the trustees and by the Alumni Councils
during their summer meeting in Williamsburg, Virginia. Five Winston-Salem cor-
porations contributed $300,000 to establish the Thomas K. Hearn Jr. Fund for Civic
Responsibility. Amid all of the celebration, however, the President maintained that
his top priority for the future was to enhance institutional values. He stated that Wake
Forest had been made strong “by a morally informed conception of education—that
education is not just a matter of the mind, but of those values that are summarized
by our motto Pro Humanitate.” A Wake Forest education concerned personal as well
as intellectual development. “Personal integrity and intellectual integrity must be our
most important goals.”
Another noteworthy story that year concerned the colonization of local women’s
societies. In early October, ten national sororities held forums with question-and-
answer sessions and audiovisual aids; then members of the six local societies voted
by secret ballot for the organization with which they wished to affiliate. Over the
course of a marathon weekend in October, Delphi, Fidele, Lynks, S.O.P.H., Strings,
and Thymes were transformed into chapters of the sororities they chose by mutual
agreement. Delphi became Delta Gamma; Fidele became Chi Omega; Lynks became
Kappa Delta; S.O.P.H. became Kappa Kappa Gamma; Strings became Pi Beta Phi;
and Thymes became Kappa Alpha Theta. The Intersociety Council was renamed the
Panhellenic Council.
The new chapters held formal rites from November through January, inviting
former members to become sorority affiliates. The process of colonization lasted a
year. It had been prompted by a tougher state law on social host liability and the sense
that the society system deprived members of the professional, scholastic, and pro-
grammatic opportunities available to national Greek organization members. Wake
Forest’s first society, Strings, was founded in 1946 by undergraduates Huldah Line-
berry and Edith Rawls in a secret candlelight ceremony in a residence hall laundry
room. It and two more—S.O.P.H. in 1956 and Fidele in 1961—stayed underground
until late 1963, when the faculty approved a petition recognizing the societies on a
three-year trial basis. They became permanent in 1967.
Before the transitions became final, nearly five hundred society members gath-
ered for a celebratory party in the Benson Center. Dressed in white for the impend-
ing pledge, they milled around, hugging and congratulating each other. Members of
Wake Forest’s four existing sorority chapters—Alpha Delta, Delta Delta Delta, Alpha
Kappa Alpha, and Delta Sigma Theta—sang their anthems to welcome their new
sisters.
Previous Page Next Page