202 The History of Wake Forest
Old Gold and Black praised WAKE TV
and the recent Philomathesian for their
educational and entertainment value
to the campus.
Under Brian J. Uzwiak, the Old
Gold and Black began to publish an
electronic edition, as opposed to its
previous text-only edition, on the
Internet. The paper won a Pacemaker
Award for 1994–1995 from the Asso-
ciated Collegiate Press and College
Media Advisors as one of the pre-
miere nondaily college newspapers
in the country.
The Philomathesian Society
started the year with about twenty
members and a literary magazine,
The Philomathesian, funded by Vice
President Ken Zick and edited by
senior Joy Goodwin. The society was
founded on May 3, 1834, but died
following the move to the Reynolda
Campus. Goodwin and Phil Archer
managed to revive it in 1993, and the
Euzelian Society, its old campus rival,
was resurrected in the spring of 1995. The Euzelians had a more scientific emphasis
and attracted about the same number of members.
The Wake Forest Critic reappeared briefly with Brad Collins as Editor and
David Broyles (Political Science) as its Advisor. As in previous years, it special-
ized more in personal opinions and individual attacks on administrators than
news, and after this year, it
disappeared (and was not
missed).
The Gospel Choir cel-
ebrated its twenty-fifth
anniversary. The Senior Class
Campaign shattered its
$40,000 goal, collecting
$50,500 in cash and pledges
for the University. Seniors
Russ Hubbard and Jen Jack-
son, along with junior Erik
Lisher, the finance chair,
reestablished Project Pro
Humanitate to raise funds to
construct a house for Habitat
Andrew Frey (right) with wax statue of
Albert Einstein (left)
Jessica Davey and Mother Teresa
Previous Page Next Page