Chapter Sixteen: 1998–1999 279
Davis Perry—donated their family’s
home, Sunnynoll, to the University
along with six acres of land at the
corner of Reynolda and Polo roads.
The residence alone was valued at
$1.7 million. More surprising still,
Amos Swann from Kodak, Ten-
nessee, who had no University ties,
bequeathed $1.1 million to Wake
Forest to be used for need-based
scholarships for undergraduates
The Divinity School received a $200,000 grant from the Jessie Ball DuPont Fund
to establish a professorship in homiletics, or the art of preaching.
WFDD listeners pledged a record $257,211 during the fundraising campaign that
began October 17 and ended November 4—despite an interruption on October 21,
when the main antenna failed.
Polo Hall, a 72,000-square-foot residence, opened in August. The $10.6 mil-
lion building offered 194 upper-class students apartment-style living without having
to deal with a landlord or electric bills. Preference was given to non-Greek stu-
dents. Simultaneously, nine houses on Student Drive were closed because of poor
conditions. At the same time, the Information Systems Building opened. It was a
70,000-square-foot, $6 million facility that housed Information Systems, ICCEL, and
for a brief time campus ministry.
Student Health Services moved into the old ROTC space on the lower level of
Reynolds gymnasium on February 2 and took the name of the late George C. Mackie,
long-time college physician on the old campus (1930–1956). The facility included
the Taylor Wellness Center, named for Mary Ann Hampton Taylor, who directed
Student Health Services from the late sixties until her retirement in 1991, and a
conference room named for Paul S. Garrison, her predecessor. Campus Ministry
moved into Kitchin Residence Hall, where Student Health Services had been located.
The Music Department opened a new lounge in the Scales Fine Arts Center that
allowed students to meet and to practice informally. Previously, students gathered in
the halls and sat on the floor of the Scales lobby for casual interactions.
A ceremony was held on October 23 to dedicate a campus street near the Worrell
Professional Center in honor of the late Carroll Weathers, Dean of the School of Law
from 1950 to 1970. Robert K. Walsh, the present Dean, and members of the Weath-
ers family spoke. At the medical center, the clinical sciences building was renamed
the Richard Janeway Clinical Sciences Tower in honor of the former Executive Vice
President for Health Affairs.
The Wake Forest Ministerial Council established a scholarship to honor long-
time University Chaplain Edgar D. Christman and his wife, Jean Sholar Christman.
The scholarship would be awarded to an undergraduate chosen through the William
Louis Poteat Scholarship program.
For the first time, the sixty-member Alumni Council of the undergraduate col-
lege had 100 percent participation in the College Fund.
Information Systems Building