288 The History of Wake Forest
Sarah Watts (History), Chair
of the Student Life Commit-
tee, and Vice President Ken Zick
undertook a study of the cam-
pus climate for gay students in
The Physics Department
received an IBM SP-2 supercom-
puter that could “simulate differ-
ent types of cosmic collisions to
see what kind of gravity waves
each lets loose,” allowing the pur-
suit of various questions related
to condensed matter physics.
The Women’s Studies program and the Women’s Health Center of Excellence at
the School of Medicine sponsored a series of events September 13–18 as part of the
second annual fall initiative on violence against women. The cardiac rehabilitation
program, the first in North Carolina and one of the first in the nation, celebrated its
twenty-fifth anniversary on May 2. It had helped over 3,000 individuals. Its medical
director, Henry S. Miller Jr., was recognized for his many contributions.
As the Calloway School of Business and Accountancy observed its fiftieth anni-
versary, it was ranked in the top 10 percent of American undergraduate business
schools by U.S. News & World Report’s college guide. Founded in 1949 as the Wake
Forest School of Business Administration, it offered bachelor of science (BS) and
bachelor of business administration (BBA) degrees, and students were enrolled for all
four years. In 1952, it offered only the BBA, and students entered in their junior year
after two years of liberal arts education. It now offered four degrees: a BS in analytical
finance, a BS in business, a BS in mathematical business, and a BS/MS in account-
ing. The liberal arts requirement held. The school had thirty-five full- and part-time
faculty members and some 405 students.
The Graduate School held its first hooding and awards ceremony in May on the
Saturday preceding Monday’s commencement exercises in Wait Chapel.
The Wake Forest University Press sponsored a week-long Irish Festival in March.
The celebration of Irish culture included a four-night Irish film series, Irish bands,
Irish poetry, the Triad Irish Dancers, and Irish storytelling. The Museum of Anthro-
pology hosted a special exhibit, “Queen Anne’s Revenge: The Search for Blackbeard’s
Flagship,” from August 20 to September 14.
Administration and Staff
On November 9, the President sent a memo to faculty about communication between
faculty and administration.
. . . as we together pursue our educational mission, the University administration
and the faculty must maintain effective dialogue. To the extent that members of
the faculty do not believe that their opinions are adequately heard and valued,
Calloway School of Business and Accountancy