308 The History of Wake Forest
on the Magnolia Quad to watch a live broadcast on a giant screen, while select guests,
including retired four-star general and statesman Colin Powell and North Carolina
Senator John Edwards and his wife Elizabeth, gathered in Pugh Auditorium in the
Benson University Center to do the same. Security was tight. A suspicious package
found on Poteat Field was blown up by the bomb squad. After the debate ended, stu-
dents rolled the Quad with red, white, and blue streamers.
The rock band Hootie and the Blowfish, rap artist Rah Digga, and alternative
singer Daniel Cage gave a free concert in the Lawrence Joel Coliseum, sponsored
by Rock the Vote, a nonpartisan group working to increase youth participation in
the political process. The music began at 7 p.m., but there was an intermission from
9 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. so the crowd could watch the live telecast of the debate. Benson
served as the media center. It housed approximately 750 of 2,500 media representa-
tives starting on October 9, twice as many as in 1988, according to University reporter
Kevin Cox. During the debate, the phones went out but came back on in time for
reporters to file their stories. As many as a thousand volunteers provided clerical,
computer, and technical support, hospitality, and directions. Volunteers signed up
on a website until September 17, and training was held on September 18–20. Prefer-
ence was given to undergraduates.
The University granted public gathering permits to several groups, including
American Atheists, Falun Gong (Falun Dafa), West Triangle Chapter Million Mom
March, and the Libertarian Party of Forsyth County. One permit was granted to a
private citizen. Demonstrators could gather in a designated area near the University
Parkway entrance from 6 p.m. until 1 a.m. on debate night. The number of applicants
for undergraduate admission to the University rose after the presidential debate, just
as it had after the first presidential debate on campus twelve years before.
Honoring the Promise Campaign
A second major story of the year was the launch of the Honoring the Promise Cam-
paign on April 26, 2001. Wake Forest began this $450 million capital campaign
with $300 million designated for the Reynolda Campus. It was the second major
campaign in a decade and
included both campuses
of the University. Called
Honoring the Promise, its
primary goals were to raise
funds for student scholar-
ships and faculty support.
It was ambitious, striving
for triple the amount of
the Heritage and Prom-
ise campaign of the early
1990s, which had a goal of
$150 million. During the
quiet phase of the cam-
paign before April, over
Students rolled the quad with red, white and blue
streamers after the debate
Previous Page Next Page