16 The History of Wake Forest
administration. A priority for the University, though, was the restoration of Graylyn
and its use. Funds for restoring the home of the Grays had been raised in the last three
years of the Scales administration, but virtually no action had been taken to refurbish
the property to its condition before the fire of 1980. The delay had to do with a debate
as to how Graylyn would be or could be used and how much it would cost to main-
tain it. The winner of the debate was John Anderson, who had the idea that Graylyn
could make money for the University as a conference center and not lose money as
a dorm or mental health facility, as it had been used before. Thus, with funds from
the sale of ten acres on the back of the estate, which raised a million dollars, and the
money raised over the previous three years, Anderson’s plan was put into motion and
the project was finished after Gordon Gray signed off on it. (Gray not only signed off
for the use of the property but was generously benevolent in giving $750,000 to fit the
manor house with air conditioning.)
While open house celebrations at Graylyn for Wake Forest students and the
Winston-Salem community took place on November 30 and December 1, student
access to the grounds was limited by Director Albert Ginchereau because of a series
of break-ins and other mischief.
Ginchereau’s edict was controversial, but it was not the only controversy sur-
rounding Graylyn. In October, before the restoration was completed, the Univer-
sity ended eighteen years of uninterrupted use of Graylyn by the Winston-Salem
Symphony for its Music at Sunset concerts. The University paid the Arts Council
the amortized value of the Rudolph Shell and scheduled its removal for February 1,
but some in the community did not understand. Hearn wrote explanatory letters to
L.M. Baker Jr., President of the Arts Council; Milton Rhodes, Executive Director of
the Arts Council; George Lautemann, President of the Winston-Salem Symphony
Association; and others: “It was important for everyone to understand that the use
of Graylyn as a dormitory and its grounds as public park was a temporary expedient.
Such use was incompatible with the terms under which the estate was donated to the
University.” He was more spe-
cific in a letter to Mr. L. Don-
ald Long Jr. on November 17:
“Developments following the
fire of [June  22] 1980 made
it feasible for the University
to create a continuing edu-
cation and conference cen-
ter,” and “the Gray family
and others made substantial
gifts” for the restoration. “A
specific gift was made for
the landscaping and that gift
requires that the grounds be
protected from automobiles
and excessive crowds.” The
March 1980 agreement for
Arts Council use of Graylyn
Bob Hope
Previous Page Next Page