Chapter Nineteen: 2001–2002 329
In a major internal event, Wake Forest entered into an affiliation with the Reyn-
olda House Museum of American Art on January 15. While the University would
now elect its Board of Trustees, the museum would remain independent and self-
governing. Executive Director Barbara Millhouse would continue in her position,
and Wake Forest would provide a temporary director until a replacement was found
for John Neff, who had recently departed. John Anderson initially assumed the
responsibility, assisted for a few months by Associate Provost Sam Gladding.
At the time, Reynolda House was in a capital campaign to raise $12 million to
construct a 29,000 square foot, three-story educational wing that would include a
visitors’ center, gallery, multipurpose room, library and archives, classrooms, and
studio space. It had raised $9.4 million, and the University agreed to make up any
shortfall as well as any annual budget shortfall during the transition.
Reynolda House opened to the public in 1967 and provided a wide range of
interdisciplinary educational programs for adults and children. The house was com-
pleted in 1917, and it served as the primary residence of tobacco magnate R.J. Reyn-
olds and his wife, Katherine. In the late 1940s, Charles and Mary Reynolds Babcock
donated three hundred acres of the estate to Wake Forest for the construction of
the Reynolda Campus and, later, Reynolda Gardens and Reynolda Village. In 1964,
the Babcock family placed Reynolda House and the surrounding nineteen acres into
a nonprofit institution to create a center of American art. Now, Reynolda House
entered into a semi-autonomous partnership with Wake Forest, similar to the health
sciences agreement forged between the University and the Medical School.
Melissa Poe and Jill Bader with Helping Hands school children