384 The History of Wake Forest
1939 graduate of Wake Forest and a Life Trustee who died in May 2001. He received
the Distinguished Alumni Award in 1966. One of his sons, Jeff Young (’72), a Trustee,
attended the ceremony. Crews installed approximately 200,000 bricks, new planters,
railings, expanded seating areas, and improved drainage as part of the project. An
approximately 600-pound bronze rendering of the University’s seal was set in the
brick in front of Reynolda Hall.
Other summer construction projects included renovations to the Pruitt Football
Wing at the Athletic Center and the main lounge in Taylor residence hall.
Graylyn International Conference Center was awarded three meeting and con-
ference industry awards for 2003: the Gold Key Award from Meetings & Conventions
magazine for the fourth consecutive year, a Pinnacle Award from Successful Meetings
magazine for the seventh time, and Corporate & Incentive Travel magazine’s Award
of Excellence.
Aramark, the University’s food service provider, added several menu options to
its campus dining areas, a new convenience store, a coffee shop, and special dinners
in the Magnolia Room. Bodega, a new convenience store featuring candy, beverages,
health and beauty aids, and other items, opened in the Benson University Center food
court. A new coffee shop, Campus Grounds, opened in Taylor residence hall on Sep-
tember 3 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on September 15. It offered espresso, cap-
puccino, iced coffee beverages, and baked goods and was open until 1:30 a.m. Aramark
now offered dinner in the Magnolia Room two nights a month in addition to its daily
Minta Aycock McNally, assistant vice president for alumni activities
at Wake Forest University (second from left), talks with Larry Young
Hines (from left), Lynn Young and Mary Craven Hines, members of
J. Smith Young’s family, as they get their first look at the Young Student
Walk plaque embedded into the sidewalk outside Reynolda Hall.
Previous Page Next Page