(1715/1716) Governor Eden’s petition and resultant Port of Bath decree proclamation by Lords Proprietors
(1717-1718) Pirate Blackbeard and crew located in Bath, pardoned by Gov. Eden in court of Vice-Admiralty
(1718) King George issues orders to protect trade, including British Navy warships off Virginia and Carolina
coast, Pirate Blackbeard killed by British Royal Navy Lieut. Robert Maynard, sent by Virginia Gov.
Spottwood,. Maynard was second in command of HMS Lyme. Maynard sails with wounded to Bath for medical
care. Capt. Brand of HMS Pearl arrived in Bath by land to interrogate crew, Gov. Eden and Tobias Knight
(1722) Port officials established in Bath. Court of Pleas and Quarter sessions held, as well as maritime courts.
(1723) John Dunston state wide naval officer appointment, district includes all waterways north of Cape Fear
(1723) New poll tax levied to build Bath prison. Wharves allowed on some waterfront lots. NC General
Assembly legislative act appoints five commissioners for the Port of Bath: Maurice Moore, John Porter, John
Baptisti Ashe, Thomas Boyd, and Patrick Maule
(1726) Among list of NC port customs officers: three Bath Town residents in charge of five port districts, Port
Beaufort and Port Currituck-John Lovick, Port Roanoke-Christopher Gale, and Port Bath- Isaac Ottiwell
(1729) North Carolina became royal English crown colony when George II purchases Carolina from the Lords
Proprietors. Edward Moseley Bath resident and state Treasurer draws 1729 map of Carolina, published in
London 1733 a few years later.
(1730) Port Bath district shrinks when New Bern customs collections and inspections reassigned to Port Beaufort
as mentioned in correspondence to London by Governor Burrington the next year.
1731 to the American Revolution
(1731) Governor Burrington sends letter about Maritime commerce to Board of Trade in London. Bath Naval
officer Stephen Gold submits accounts to London Lords Commissioners for Trade and Plantations.
(1733) – Edenton Council minutes mention naval officer Stephen Gold in custody, posted bond 800 pound GB
to guarantee repayment Customs office monies.
(1739) Rev. George Whitefield, Methodist preacher, made first journey to Bath
(1743/44/45) General Assembly met in Bath, often met at Andrew Duncan’s Inn outside Bath town gate.
(1753) Col. Robert Palmer, native of Scotland arrived in Bath with King’s warrant as Surveyor General of NC,
and also with commission as Collector for Port Bath. His home today part of the Bath state historic site.
(1756 ) Assembly ordered Bath court officials to move court to Washington
(1760) Pitt County removed from Bath county, courthouse moved back to Bath
(1775) North Carolina Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence
(1776 ) Town upriver Washington founded
(1777) Port of Bath customs official Nathan Keais relocated to Forks of the Tar, now Washington NC
(1785) County government and Port Bath removed from Bath to Washington.
(1789) North Carolina joined union as the 12th state
(1790) Last known year of shipping records showing Imports and Duties paid 1794 by Capt. Nathan Keias